Online course for Choreographers & Dramaturgs
This online intensive professional development course, with limited places for an equal number of mid-career choreographers and developing/established dramaturgs, draws on Lou Cope’s 2 decade career of working as a dramaturg with world class choreographers and theatre makers.
HOW DOES THE COURSE WORK?
The course is virtual, led over Zoom, to slot into the busy lives of choreographers and dramaturgs, to accompany and support them in their practice.
Working through a variety of dynamic and engaging sessions, participants will work with Lou and each other to:
- deepen their practice and mission
- examine their making strategies
- explore structure, composition, form, content and context
- share experience, questions and challenges
- build relationships with each other
Working with Lou has been a life changing experience for me. She has an amazing capacity to be your best friend yet at the same time tell you what works and what doesn't in the piece you are making. Her constant attention to detail about what is being created, and why, has forced me to understand my own work and practice at a level I never knew existed. Gary Clarke - UK
WHAT DOES IT INCLUDE?
- 1 to 1 bespoke and personal initial session with Lou
- 6 days of online course
- Direct content delivery from Lou
- Focussed sessions tailored and adapted to group needs and objectives
- A wide range of exercises and tasks, including some between sessions
- Collaboration and discussion with other choreographers and dramaturgs in pairs and groups
- Solo work with group reflections
- 1 to 1 debrief from Lou
WHO IS IT FOR?
Choreographers who want to engage in professional personal development, refresh or clarify their practice, get external input on their making strategies, and develop their relationship with dramaturgical thinking and dramaturgs.
Dramaturgs who want to engage in professional personal development, refresh or develop their practice, learn from and with choreographers and other dramaturgs about the potential of their approach, forge relationships with potential collaborators
WHO IS IT LED BY?
Lou Cope is one of the world's most prolific and well-respected dramaturgs. This course, the first of its kind anywhere, draws on her 20 years of experience working with some of the .top choreographers in the world, (including Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Garry Stewart, Birmingham Royal Ballet, see more) and sections of it will be created in direct response to the needs and practices of the participants.
As well as her extensive work in the industry, Lou is an experienced lecturer, qualified coach, writer and most recently – host of the hugely successful podcast Downtime.