Aerowaves festival- Springback 2020 Open Call
Are you a writer interested in Dance?
Springback Academy will once again offer aspiring dance writers the chance to be mentored in the fundamentals of quality dance criticism in the action-packed environment of Spring Forward. Aerowaves annual festival will take place this year in Rijeka, Croatia on Friday 24, Saturday 25, and Sunday 26 April 2020.
Under the guidance of four experienced dance writers, participants have the chance to create, shape and share conversations about dance and hone their critical writing skills for a number of different formats. It's a fast-track way to gain experience and technique in responsible, effective, attractive dance criticism as well as to explore and understand the opportunities that digital publishing has to offer.
If selected for the project, Aerowaves will provide mentorship, accommodation, hospitality, a pass to the festival and the opportunity to participate in future Springback activities. Participants will be required to organise and fund their own return travel to Rijeka.
The festival are looking for up to 10 opinionated people with an interest in, or some prior experience of writing about dance. The participants will be mentored in critical writing by our lead critics including Donald Hutera (The Times, London), Sanjoy Roy (The Guardian, London) Kelly Apter (The Scotsman) and Laura Cappelle (New York Times).
During the Spring Forward festival each participant will:
• Attend an introductory lecture about dance writing given by Sanjoy Roy followed by an extended Q & A session.
• Have the opportunity to meet informally with the 200 strong Spring Forward audience made up almost exclusively of dance professionals including Springback writers from previous years.
• Write short reviews in English (140 words) of several of the performances they see over the weekend. They will work to tight deadlines so that their reviews can be published each day on the Aerowaves/Springback website
• Generate ultra-short reviews, provocations, opinions and questions to share on Twitter - using #Springback to gather the conversations
• Participate in a round-table and/or panel discussions
Contribute one longer, opinion-style piece for the Aerowaves website in the week after the festival — to allow for greater reflection or to draw themes and bigger ideas together.
• Send us a summary of your experience in critical review writing (140 words or less)
• Send us a sample review (in English) of a dance performance you have seen (140 words or less). This can be an existing review or one you've written especially for this application
• Tell us in 140 words or less why you want to participate in Springback Academy 2020
• Tell us in 140 words or less about your local dance scene
• Tell us your potential arrival and departure date and time. If selected for the project, you would ideally need to arrive on the evening (if possible by 19:00) of Thursday 23 April and depart on Monday 27 April 2020
• Send all of this in an email to: SBapplications@aerowaves.org before 24:00 (GMT) on Friday 17 January 2020
• Participants will be notified by email by Saturday 15 February 2020 whether they have been selected for the project
Further information on aerowaves.org .